Fort Egypt

 
 

Fort Egypt is a two story log cabin built circa 1758 in what is now Page County, Virginia. It is one of a small number of large pioneer houses remaining in the area and is in an excellent state of preservation. Other than the replacement of the original gable roof with a hip roof, the replacement of the original “windows” with sash windows and the addition of a porch and kitchen, very few structural changes have been made to the house in the past 250+ years.


Fort Egypt is located near the center of the 1,000 acre “Egypt Bend” tract deeded to the pioneer Abraham Strickler in 1735 from Jacob Stover’s 5,000 acre “lower Massanutten” Northern Neck patent. It was built by Jacob Strickler, one of Abraham Strickler’s sons and an early leader of the Mennonite Church. His descendants lived here for generations. It is believed that the house was used for meetings of the Mennonite Church in this community before any church buildings were built. It is currently a private residence.


Built of 20-25" diameter logs full-dovetailed at the corners, Fort Egypt measures approximately 36’ x 32’. It is of the Flurküchenhaus architectural style characterized by two to four rooms around an off-center internal fireplace. It has four rooms on the first floor — a kuche (kitchen), stube (parlor), kammer (chamber), and a fourth which may have been a workroom. The second floor has the same basic floor plan. The cellar, accessible from the side of the house, runs the full width of the house with a vaulted room under the stube.


 

Welcome to Fort Egypt

Last edited 5/21/2013